Great Haseley Windmill
History of the Mill
mill is situated between the villages of Great Haseley and Great
Milton, Oxfordshire. Grid reference SP 638 024, close to the A329 road.
It has a commanding position, at the top of a slight rise with
uninterrupted views, particularly to the south and west; an ideal
position for catching the prevailing wind.
TimelineAs with many such ancient buildings, the history of Great Haseley windmill is somewhat uncertain. A date stone exists, marked 1806, although it is thought that the mill was actually constructed in 1760. It is a tower mill, with common sails (meaning an open wooden frame which would bear the sail cloth), now mostly absent. There are two pairs of stones, under-driven via a wooden great spur wheel.
Ironwork dated 1889 suggests improvements and/or repairs at that time, involving winding gear and curb cogs, for turning the cap into wind.
It is thought that the mill came to the end of its working life in the early 1900s. Consequently, there has been a great deal of time for the inevitable deterioration to take hold.
Fortunately, the private owner commisioned some restoration work in the 1970s. This included repairs to the cap, with an Aluminium skin being fitted, and rendering of the top of the tower. This worked helped to protect the inside of the mill from the elements, and can probably be thanked for the continued survival of some parts of the machinery.