How to Rekey Your Locks
When you have moved into your new house, office, or apartment, changing or rekeying all the door and window is mandatory for security purposes. In this article, we will tell you about the top reason for rekeying your locks, read more from here.
What is Rekeying?
Before we move to reason, let us first make sure that what rekeying means is. Rekeying means the process of modifying locks so the old keys will no longer operate. After it, you can use new keys to open the locks. Without changing the lock’s configuration, you have to replace the lock. By this process rekeying a more viable and affordable option than changing the lock altogether.
Top Reason for rekeying your locks
● Key copying from previous owners: – When you moving into a new apartment, office or home then you want new keys. This is because it is impossible to determine how many key copies have been made by the previous owners. Because you never know how many were given to their friends or associates. It is not in control but rekeying is. With the old lock keys, your previous owners can enter your home without your knowledge. So it is better for you to be safe than sorry.
● Render Spare Keys Invalid: if you give your home spare key to service people or repairman, he did not give it back to you then you should rekey your locks. The keys were only given out as a temporary thing. The same applies to keys that are handed out long ago to friends and business associates. You will never be sure of that access to keys now. The spare keys should be rendered invalid and the most effective way to do so is through rekeying.
● Divorce, Separation, or Dispute: If you are facing any disputed issue or going through divorce or separation then you have to your locks rekeyed. If you feel that you trust the person and want to settle things amicably emotions can be quite unpredictable and possessions. In the case of a dispute with a spouse or with a family member, you have to change the lock because you don’t want to come home to an empty house.
● Roommates: if you are sharing an apartment with the roommate and they leave then you have to change the lock. Sometimes they don’t give it back to you so in this case rekeyed your lock. If you give your home to paying guests or rented so when they leave the house you have to change the lock for the next one.
● Home Invasion: If you have been a recent victim of a break-in or home invasion then it is highly recommended that you have your locks rekeyed or even changed. It will also improve the security of your home. This applies even if nothing of note was stolen. The house of you should not become an easy target. So always take precautions such as rekeying will help prevent it from happening again.